Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First Blog Prompt for EOF Reading class

Hello Class:
Here is your first blog prompt. Please remember to write at least one paragraph using respectful language. Don't worry so much about grammar; instead, simply share your thoughts. Thanks, and happy blogging!

From page 5 in "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin:

"In a part of the world where Americans are, at best, misunderstood, and more often feared and loathed, this soft spoken, six-foot-four former mountaineer from Montana has put together a string of improbable successes."

What do you think about this statement? Are Americans truly "misunderstood" and "loathed"? Why or why not? How do you think people from what we call "Third World" countires, view the United States?

3 comments:

  1. HI! This is nour. I'm not sure if this is where i am supposed to blog, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

    I do think Americans are misunderstood around the world especially by third world countries. Looking at it from there point of view I would image that they feel neglected by the most powerful country in the world.We as Americans are blessed for having the comfort of living in such ease, and we have the ability to help so many around the world. However we forget that there are people out there who could really use our aid. While a girl is complaining that she can not get a date, there are people fighting to find an ounce of food. It is not so much that we do not want to help people in need, it is just that sometimes we forget about what else is going on in the world. Americans are not evil the way some countries might accuse us of being, we are just blind and ablivious to any global adversities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I think about this statement is that it not true. The reason why I say that it not true is becuase not every Americans are like what it said misunderstood and loathed. There are alway different kind of people who are different they what many people maybe. Well I think that they view the United States as a country of freedom and we can do what ever we want. Maybe that why they dont like us in anyway for what we have and they dont. That is what I think the "Third World" countires, viewing the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third world countries don't really hate the United States i think they just wish they had the opportunities we have as American citizen. I know many people who prefer to live in the states then their countries. And i agree with Vivian America is a freedom country were all citizens can do as they like while in most third world countries the government is controlled by the religion like Pakistani.

    ReplyDelete